Saturday, October 11, 2008

Second Chances

I went home to Arlington this past weekend. What a wonderful thing...to go home! While I was there, I went to see my alma mater play volleyball with one of my best friends in the world, who was a high school volleyball teammate of mine. While talking, we were reminded of a dreaded day in our lives...the day we lost the 1995 5A State Championship game to a team we had already beaten 3 times that same season! In order to get to the state tournament, we had to beat the best team in the state, the defending state champions...and then upon arriving to the state tournament (we were the first team from our high school to ever make it to the state tournament by the way) we beat a team 15-0 in the semi-final game...and then we go and lose to a team we had already beaten 3 times! Crazy! It was just one of those crazy days when nothing went our way...we did not play so hot, the other team played the game of their lives, the referee missed a point for us because she spilled her coffee (that she was not supposed to have) all over the score table...the list goes on and on of things that went wrong...it was simply not meant to be...easier said than done right?

10 years later, I return to the state tournament as the assistant coach of my alma mater volleyball team! I should have been there as a player because every year they honor the team that won 10 years before! But instead, I am there as a coach...and my team wins! I received the silver medal as a player and then 10 years later I receive the gold as a coach! Crazy how things work out! Who gets a second chance like that?!!? I wonder what will happen in 10 years when I return to the state tournament as the assistant coach of the 2005 5A State Champions...

All this is to say...as I drove back to Austin last weekend...this story reminded me that we serve a God of second chances! Does that not give you great hope?!!? It does not matter who we are or what we've done, God LOVES us and wants to have a personal relationship with each one of us! Romans 5:8 says it like this, "God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us!" While we were still sinners...can you believe that God sent his son JESUS to die for you and me? And all we have to do is believe and we can have a personal relationship with Him and eternal life in heaven! It is a FREE gift...why not accept it?

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...