Sunday, February 28, 2010

Heart Disease: Final Thoughts


As February comes to an end and we wrap up American Heart Month, this will be my final post (for now) related to Heart Disease.

I hope that you were able to truly realize the seriousness and significance the role that Heart Disease plays in this country. The numbers say it all and they are overwhelming.

Now, if you are anything like me...I am a what I like to call a "hands on" learner, or what the academic world likes to call a kinesthetic learner. Which basically means that I learn best through personal experience.

Yes, I do learn by seeing and hearing things, but things truly do not "hit home" until it somehow relates to me!

What I mean is that numbers and statistics lead me to this place...yeah, yeah... I know that heart disease is bad and very prevelant in our country and I hope I never get it!

But once it starts to affect me personally, my thoughts change to this...Wow!...heart disease is a real problem in this country, what can I do to prevent myself and others from getting this disease!

And yes, genetics do a play a factor and can increase/lower your risk...but as I mentioned in previous posts, there are also things that we can do to lower our risk...so, what are we waiting for?

Here was the kicker for me...

I have the 2 most precious boys in the world, they are 3 1/2 and 1 1/2...I want to be able to chase after them for many many years to come...and as I stated before, we know that God is in ultimate control of the number of our days...but I am going to do my part to ensure that I am around to see my great-grandchildren grow up, get married and have children of their own!

So, now I ask you?

What
will it take to change your mindset about diet and exercise?

What
will help you to see them, not as bad things, but as things that if done correctly, will prolong your life and improve the quality of it?

What
makes it personal for you?

Next time you are tempted to eat that donut or skip that workout, think about that.


Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...