Friday, March 12, 2010

Mom to Mom: From My Kitchen to Yours!

For the past several weeks, I have been frustrated with all of the junk food that I have in my house for my children (and husband for that matter)!!

I have found that it makes it very difficult for me to eat healthy (and stick to only the healthy snacks that I bought for myself) when I am constantly tempted by the un-healthy snacks that surround me!

Besides, now is as good a time as any to start training my boys to eat right.

So, here is what I decided to do...

KEEP ONLY HEALTHY FOOD, DRINKS AND SNACKS IN MY HOUSE!!

That way when the cravings come, there is nothing but health food for me to snack on.

And believe me, there is no way I am loading up my kiddos and hauling them to the store to buy a snack to fulfill my un-healthy urges...not gonna happen...so, that gives me no other choice but to either eat/drink something healthy or eat/drink nothing at all.

Well, what about my husband and kids???

Here is what I did...

1. I told Big A that if he wants to buy junk food and sodas...he can keep them in the little fridge he has in his office and snack on them while he is at work...but don't bring them into this house!

2. I decided that I needed to learn how to buy/make healthy snacks and meals for Little A and Little E...that they will actually eat!

SO...let the researching begin, I am on a mission to find yummy, healthy snacks and meals for the little guys!!

Let's start by taking a look at my sister's blog.

She is hosting a "blog carnival" called Mom to Mom: From My Kitchen to Yours!

Lots of moms are linking up and posting their creative ideas for healthy snacks and meals for kids!

I can't wait get some great ideas!

Here is my tip to you:

Try to cut back on the pre-packaged snacks with all of the sugar, salt, preservatives, etc...instead, buy fresh fruits, veggies, whole grain cereals, etc and always organic if possible. As soon as you get home from the store, go ahead and prepare these snacks (wash, cut, etc) and divide them into servings by putting them in those little Ziploc "snack-size" storage bags. Then keep the bags in a place that you can easily grab and serve or grab and go! By doing this, you will be much more likely to give your kids healthy snacks, rather than pre-packaged junk and you will be more likely to render portion-control when giving these snacks!

If you have some ideas of your own, feel free to link up to her post, so that others can share the wealth!

If not, simply check it out to find new ideas!

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...