Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fitness Frustrations- Part 3

It's been awhile since I have posted about my fitness frustrations, so you may want to check out my previous posts, Fitness Frustrations-Part 1 and Fitness Frustrations-Part 2, for a refresher...or to catch up!

The reason I have not posted much about my fitness frustrations recently is because they were just that, frustrations.

I did not really have anything positive to say, and I told you that I was not going to use this blog to vent my problems for the sake of venting, but to help you and me.

Without going into too much detail, I have had ALOT of physical problems since having my boys (and have even been to physical therapy) that have prevented me from doing what I want to do, fitness-wise, as well as, day-to-day-living-wise.

It has basically been 1 step foward and 2 steps back for the past almost 2 years since giving birth to Little E.

Being gung-ho about getting back into shape post-pregnancies...because of my athletic drive...because I want to be a good role model for my children...because I am in sports ministry...

...only led to more frustrations, because I have not been able to do what I want to do...what I know is right...what I have been telling you to do!!

I even led Fit Camp, for over a year...without even being able to participate in my own class, ugh!

My #1 problem, post-pregnancy, is that I pretty much have no CORE strength (which leads to all kinds of other problems, including back pain, hip-popping, etc)! There are just no muscles in that area of the body to hold things in place.

Carrying Little A ripped my abdominal muscles in half, and then Little E came along and compounded that problem, plus created new problems for me!

When I first went to physical therapy, my therapist did a muscle stimulation test on my abs and there was pretty much zero response...she said she would have to talk to the doctor because she was not familiar with anything like this, ha!

Does God have a sense of humor or what?!!?

Obviously, priority #1 became to strengthen my muscles from the CORE out! And by CORE, I mean the abs, obliques, low back, hips, etc...the middle of the body, the foundation.

I no longer had a strong foundation to support the rest of my body, it was almost non-existent...which meant that the rest of my body could not function properly!

Oh so many spiritual analogies in that sentence...but I will get to that later!

So, I started doing some basic core exercises to begin the strengthening process....I would make a little progress and then get impatient, push myself too hard...and throw my back out again!

Honestly, throughout the process I learned that I could not even do most of the exercises my physical therapist gave me, without hurting my back more. It was by trial and error that I (not my therapist), with some help from my dad, found what seems to be the exercise solution for me.

I will get to that later.

I knew my back, and the rest of my body, would get better, once my CORE was strong enough to support it...but I could not even get to that point without hurting myself along the way!

This happened over and over for a year and a half!

And then...I found the simple answer...

"Be patient and stand firm, because the Lord's coming is near." (James 5:8)

I was reminded of this little treasure in a book entitled, "Daily Wisdom for Mothers."

It is a wonderful little book of short daily devotionals for moms. I read one each night before bed.

The author, Michelle Medlock Adams, just happens to be one of my "writer friends." I took her seminar at the Blue Ridge Mountains Christian Writer's Conference last summer. Her link is on my sidebar.

I just discovered her book a few weeks ago, shoved in the bottom of my nightstand. I didn't even know I had it!

God has a funny little way of showing me things (that have been there all along) at just the right time.

The following words of hers have given me so much comfort and hope in recent days:

Waiting is not easy...we are not a patient people. When days turn to weeks and weeks turn to months and months turn to years, you can't help but wonder if God is still working on your behalf. But rest assured, He is! Just as your children were born when they were ready, your dreams and miracles will hatch at their appointed times. So, hang in there and wait with joy. Whenever you are able to finally embrace whatever it is you're believing God for, it will be more than worth the wait!

That phrase, "wait with joy," really stood out to me.

I know that God is not finished with me yet and that He will heal my body in His time....and I am expected to not only wait on him, but to wait with joy.

All I can do is stick to the exercises that work and avoid the ones that cause more pain, until I get strong enough to broaden my horizons.

I am going to do my best to not get frustrated and overdo it, regardless of what others around me are doing.

I am going to do only what, by God's grace, I am able to do (what He has called me to do)...and nothing more.

I am going to wait with joy until He shows me something new!

Stick around for more details as to what I have discovered does and does not work, when your CORE is pretty much non-existent...unfortunately, for most women, a lack of CORE strength is a common problem!

Pin It!

2 comments:

runningtwig said...

Thanks for sharing all this. Although I don't have issues nearly as big as yours, I too have been frustrated by my lack of core strength and really my inability to get it back. I've been working my tail off without too much result and it stinks. But we must press on...and I like what you wrote...wait with joy - something I need to work on! Good luck!

Worthy of the Prize said...

Thanks Twiggy!!

I will be blogging more about my journey soon.

Pray for me and I will pray for you.

Also, if you have any great tips...send them my way!

I would love to have you guest blog sometime in the future about your journey! :)

I will send you a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...