Friday, April 2, 2010

How Deep the Father's Love for Us

A little while and you will no longer see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me....Truly, truly, I say to you, that you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice; you will grieve, but your grief will be turned to joy. Whenever a woman is in labor she has pain, because her hour has come; but when she gives birth to the child, she no longer remembers the anguish because of the joy that a child has been born into the world. Therefore you too have grief now; but I will see you again, and your heart will rejoice, and no one will take your joy away from you. (John 16:16-22)

My friend Zach, Youth Pastor at Emmanuel BC, reminded me that "even before He was arrested, Jesus knew all He would endure and He did it anyway for me."

For me?

For me.

Wow.

Why?

Why in the world would Jesus die for an undeserving sinner like me?

The familiar lyrics come to mind...

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished


Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

It is overwhelming to realize that it was my sin that held Jesus to that cross.

Yes, he could have come down and saved Himself.

But instead, He chose to save me.

Just like a woman in labor, Jesus endured the pain, knowing that the result would be new life for all who believe.

So, for the joy set before Him, He endured the cross. (Hebrews 12:2)

And I am ever so thankful that He did.

Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...